Exclusive Interview Designer Timothy George

“Clothes are the words to emotion, the ultimate form of self-expression.”Timothy George


Timothy George  is innately curious about how things are made. This deep fascination intrigued him to explore the fine craftsmanship and fabrication of high-end garments. Lacking a formal fashion background, Timothy found himself on the chaotic streets of New York’s garment district seeking “the way to his passion”. His dedication to achieve landed him an internship with one of the industry’s most respected garment factories. During the four years working in the factory, he was devoted to train with skilled craftsmen from draping, cutting, hand sewing, fabrication, to technical constructions. Following that, he trained with Franco Maselli, a custom hand-made suit tailor and pattern maker that traditionally trained in Italy. As a result, Timothy George’s garments essentially focus on the precision of construction, architectural appearance, and the innovative use of fabrics.

“Every moment in time deserves an exclusive, crafted design”Timothy George


UD: Please tell us a bit about yourself what is youreducational and professional background and how do you feel it prepared you fora career in design?

TG: I actually don’t have any formalfashion training, but I did go to University for Public Relations, graduatedwith a degree in actually I don’t know what the hell the degree was in… anywaymoving on. This helped me a lot because it made me realize A. I am NEVERwearing a tie to work.  &  B. that I will never ever get a job in PublicRelations. It was soon after that I saw, wow if I don’t do something that Ilove then what is the point of doing anything at all?

This is when I went to seek a realfashion education, and I got it from the streets of NYC. I knew I couldn't afford fashion school on top of going to University and I was already 2 yearsinto it so I decided that I would have to find an alternative. Very simple, myonly option was to go to NYC and start knocking on doors looking for someonewho could teach me. This is exactly what I did; I was able to find a high endAtelier who did production for major brands to take me in. Fast forward 3 yearslater I was slowly gaining all the knowledge I needed to start designing. Andthat’s how it all started     

UD: When did you first get in touch withfashion, what was your earliest fashion memory?

TG: Well funny as it may sound, myearliest fashion memory is when I was a little toddler.  I explicitly remember absolutely refusing towear jeans! I remember like it was yesterday they would itch me so bad! I couldn't take it, so my Mom had to buy me corduroys (every color) those wereabout the only slacks I could stand! Now it’s quite the opposite.

UD: What made you decided to get infashion and specifically to start your own line?

TG: This question is actually a whoinstead of a what haha! Thebeginning of my fashion interest started when I met a luxury accessory designerby the Name Rene Lautrec. Lautrec noticed that I had an innate sense for detail and deep appreciation for quality;it was at that point that he encouraged me to try to design. I, confused andnot knowing anything about design soon came to find that designing was muchmore then drawing lines on paper. It took a while I would say about 2 years butI liked the idea and decided to move forward with designing so I went seekingthe next steps to making my drawings a reality.

UD: What is the best part about your job?

TG: The best part of my job really allcomes down to one thing, that moment when my ideas come to a reality. I love creating;it gives me a feeling of accomplishment. There aren’t many jobs out there thatallow you to go through the creative process completely; there is nothingbetter than, having an idea one day and the next having that idea in physicalform.

UD: What is a typical day like in the life of Timothy George?

TG: Typical day, wake up grab my phone,check my e-mail (usually there is not much) I’m much more of a phone guy I liketo call people I think e-mail is to impersonal. Then I will check my Twitter and Facebook accounts that is  my dailynews. It puts me in the fashion groove, all the tweets (and I actually readalmost all of them) from all around the world are waiting for me to read! LoveThat! Once I get to the office I grab a coffee and then I start thinking it’sfunny because when you work for yourself you have to create what is next halfof my day is consumed with thinking what I need to do the other half is doingit. Most designers who have a start up brand like mine actually don’t designbut 10% of the time, its running the business that they have to do (thank God Ihave a very capable business partner that helps me with this). I hate this butit’s a real reality, so I made a pact with myself that I will not leave theoffice unless I created something new. I do this because I refuse to become astatistic so although it’s a true fact most designers only design 10% of thetime I make sure it’s not true with me, funny thing most of the time I don’teven use what I made/sketched/draped for a collection but I still need to doit…it’s all about being loyal to yourself! After I design one new thing my dayis typically by now it’s usually 8-9:00. Back home and well what happens athome isn’t all that interesting, involves a glass of wine and magazines, and noI do not watch TV, 3-4 hours a month max!    

UD: How do you classify fashion as an artand fashion as a business?

TG: Fashion as an Art, well all fashion isan art, it’s the art of making something, and like any art you have levels.High fashion is the art of meticulous detail and innovation such as HauteCouture and bridge lines or contemporary fashions may be considered “lower”art. Everything that needs to be created involves some type of art. When itcomes to business the definition of art/fashion becomes a bit different,fashion as a business turns into an art of creating sales. The business side offashion tends to make fashion a bit cheap, not necessarily in a price pointtype of way but in the way that many artistic ideas have to be limited.Sometimes I wish clothing was free! This would create an amazing world offashion!   

UD: What do you wish you had known before entering the fashion industry?

TG: I will save 10 trees and not answerthis question completely! If I could sum it up in one major sentence it wouldbe, “understanding that what you see is not exactly what you get”

UD: Being Based in New York, how and inwhat way does the big apple inspire Timothy George?

TG: I am a huge fan of European fashionand NYC helps me because we have so many tourists here, it’s so easy to spotnew ideas and new styles of how to wear things and how to uniquely pull off anoutfit.   

UD: What types of clothes do you enjoy designing?

TG: I love designing Blazers because youcan incorporate structure and I am a big fan of structured clothing, also I liketo be on top. Blazers are always the last to get put on and the first to beseen!


UD: How would you describe Timothy Georgewoman? How do you imagine her feeling in your Designs?

TG: The Timothy George woman isadventurous and a bit rebellious, she does not care to show off a bit and sheknows what looks good on her body. She is romantic, but not only with othersbut with herself as well. She knows how she wants to be treated when she is inmy designs she feels unique, she feels covered yet free. Specifically for thiscollection she feels like she has armor on, something that allows her to coverher body but in doing this it frees her to attack what is ahead! 

UD: Your Designs are visionary, perfectly crafted andGlamorous, how do you gain inspiration for your designs?

TG: First I will try to come up with a thememake a mood board or 5 hah…after that, my actual design inspiration comes fromthe draping doll. I love to be hands on; fabric inspires my design when itcomes to draping I love creating lines and creating shapes on the body thatpeople would not think were possible. If  it’s shocking, it’s very Timothy George. 



UD: In yournewest collection, what was the theme for the collection? And what was the mainaesthetics you have used?

TG: This new collection was inspired bylady Knight. The Jackets and coats all are inspired by armor that a Knight maywear. If you look close the lines on the jackets all look like layered piecesof armor plates. Armor requires movement so I was inspired to make the piecesstructured yet light with easy mobility!  

UD: From being a huge fan of yourcollection, I noticed you like to concentrate on the basics and the classicitems. Why do you think this is important?

TG: I feel very strongly that classicitems are important to my client therefore that are important to me. Anyone canmake a crazy piece that can be worn to a pool party or to a circus but theclassic items require a unique sensibility in their design. I feel I canconnect with my client when designing something that is worn often andsomething that is essential in their wardrobe. It creates a challenge at times,Yes. But it is worth the result. My client has high expatiations when it comesto staple items and I am up for the challenge.    

UD: What are you currently working on?

TG: I am currently working on sales forfall and designing my new spring collection.

UD: How would you describe your ownpersonal style?

TG: Anti corporate. If you would see itin a business meeting you won’t see it on me. Also I don’t wear sweat pants,just had to make that clear.

UD: Who are your style icons?

TG: I love Jonny Depps style I think heis never caring what anyone says, and never does what is expected.

UD: What current trend in fashionattracts you the most?

TG: I’m not really into trends because stylistsmake trends, that’s their job… mine is to create what is beautiful if itbecomes trend then great!

UD: Who do you most respect in theindustry currently?

TG: Any struggling designer, I respectthem because I know what it feels like to devote your life for what you loveand the pain that may come with it.

UD: Where do you see Timothy George infive years?

TG: In Paris.


UD: What’s the best advice you can give a designer who’s just starting out?

TG: You can do Anything you put Otherpeople’s minds to….it’s all about the Team!










Blog Archive